Saturday, November 12, 2011

THE KILLING JOKE


The Killing Joke


 In the depths of my despair
I looked around, to find the stairs
My hopes ran asunder
My efforts to escape seemed slender

The mall was all so empty
All but darkness, as an abyss
Sounds crept by inhumane, treacherous
Looked so Deliberate and scary

No not my imagination
I did see a shadow pass me
This darkness now entraps me
There’s nothing there I can see

What is that? Laughter?
It sounds so dry and painful
Something lurks in the dark mist
As it grew closer, my heart fell under

It seemed like the darkness spoke!
It said “Oh! What a devious plight,
Oh lord, oh lord, what a sight!
Don’t be afraid, come to the darkness.”

“Lie in its cold embrace
The darkness is your friend.”
Fear suddenly in my heart evoked
I ran past his laughter’s wicked echoes

Without a glance back, I ran
In the darkness, all the way
Far from the horrible sound
I stopped for some air

The laughter was there
It had found me again
My heart was still racing
The darkness still embracing

The voice rang across the walls
”now, now my child
Are you scared?
Do you want mommy?”

Do you hear that? Yes, the silence
It is the sound of darkness
Its echoes ring in your ears
Listen, it teaches you how to kill your fears


The darkness believes
just what it sees
it is you who perceives
otherwise and likewise, you see?

Oh, come on don’t worry
Just take my hand.”
From the depths of darkness
A tall clown emerged

My legs asleep, petrified
The clown inched closer to me
I gasped in utter horror
At the most terrifying sight I saw

Beneath the white paint, were scars
On His face a smile was carved
Made to stay there forever
His green eyes, looked ever so alive

He laughed and he smiled
His heart was truly wild
He leaned even closer, and said
“Why so serious, son?”

My knees were quaking
My body shaking
My throat ran dry
No tears left to cry

He took out a carving knife
“Let’s put a smile on that face
You look sooooo dull
You could do with a smile like mine.”

He smacked his lips, and tilted his face
His smile stuck there, just like a brace
“Come on sonny, say aaahh, come on
It’ll be over before you even know.”

Something caught on my sleeve
Pulled me up with a heave
Through the ceiling, I fell
Upwards safe somewhere else

His figure barely seen, he was the darkness
Unlike him, the clown and him, both the same
Yet somehow they looked estranged
His voice was even more thundering

“Stay here, I’m going after joker
It’s safe for you to stay here
Wait for some time, then leave
It’s just darkness, do not misperceive”

“Do you hear that? Yes, the silence
It is the sound of darkness
Its echoes ring in your ears
Listen, it teaches you to kill your fears.”

Sounded just the same
Even the tone is the same
But they are worlds apart
Each one says something else

I nodded half asleep
“It’s so dark, how can you see?
He replied-“don’t worry leave that to me,
I am the dark knight, you see?”

1 comment:

Chetan Gurikar said...

"It is not our abilities that shows what we truly are, it is our choices"

Choosing to be good or bad, is in our hands. Just like a coin has two sides, a human has both, the good and the bad in him. The one you embrace will define your true identity.!

It's basically, a Scene from one of my All time fav movies, nicely portrayed by you buddy.

It was nice to recollect the scene, but slightly twisted here unlike in the movie but with a purpose :)