Thursday, November 10, 2011

BORINGLY LINEAR




Boringly Linear


 It was a bright summer morning day
My cousin shook me violently
Said,” we should be on our way.”
I had a start; his violent means interrupted my sleep

He said, “Wake up bhaiya! Today is a special day,
We are to leave by the noon train
We see a woman for you the next day.”
I did nod slowly, then go back to sleep.

“You’re so brave, not at all worried.” He said
That’s what you think, I thought
I’m about to piss my pants, I’m calling the maid.
“This is quite a pickle”, I said to myself

The bells of destiny had rung, only I heard its call
After a while my cousin was fast asleep
I took the cue, slithered out of bed without a word
I drew long puffs of smoke, it felt right

“Ayo! Ayo! Beta, you’ve grown Na?
Do you remember me, I’m Aunty Rita?”
I smile and nod, I know lady gaga
Her bra strap would never sit in her blouse

People I barely knew came and hugged me
This action almost suffocated me
For a while, I forced out a smile
Later, even that was toned down a dial

I kindly asked to be excused
Called my friends, asked me to be rescued
Each friend had his hearty laugh
And said pick yourself a better, better half

Friends of a lifetime had dumped me
'Cause of the damn camphor’s smoke, I could barely see
All my thoughts had left me
I was to be slaughtered this week

I was woken from my day dream
By a girl with the lightest touch
“Mom is calling you.” She barely whispered
I was startled at the timing; I could see that she blushed

I thanked her rather carelessly
While a huge mountain of laughter
Exploded right behind me
 I turned back at once to see

What was that my lord, who could that, be?
They were people, who disappeared mysteriously
The girl still stood, with the sternest of looks
“You can leave; I’ll come after I finish my smokes.”

She asked, “Why do you do that?
Don’t you know it’s bad for you?”
I replied,” hey sister, wow!
I barely yet know you.”

I continued,” maybe you don’t know this,
I’m the designated goat of the day.
They only sent you here to disturb me
Can’t you see? It amuses them.”

“I especially looked for this place
I stumbled earlier into someplace else
Where aunties panties were hung on a line
All sizes unknown to mankind.”

At this, her face lit up like a festival
Her expressions all so unique
I didn’t want to cheat before next week
I looked for a reason to take leave

“I like you, you’re so funny.” She said
Her innocence and pride had me waylaid
I said, “I’m about to be married, I should be frank,
I like you too, but I’m about to walk the plank.”

She laughed and said,” you’re so stupid and naïve,
I too am walking down the “PLANK” with you.”
I stood flabbergasted, mouth hung open
I stammered,” You mean…..you…?”

“Yes, your To-Be-Betrothed.” She finished for me
Now things were as plain as day
Why the relatives looked so happy and gay
“Oh I’m such a moron.” Was all I could say.

She looked around so no one could see
She stood on her toes and then kissed me
Her eyes were wide and forgiving
This day my life, had a new beginning

Our lips parted after a while
My heart jumped down a mile
She left me wondering in silence
marveled, at her mild violence

I sat down to gather her looks, she was pretty
Her smile was wide, her lips all red and ripe
Her hips rounded off to the side
Even in the half sari, she looked so wild

I smiled at myself for how long
I really don’t know
I took the cigarette case, threw it away
Thought out loud,” mom, you’re smart this way.”


  In the loving memory of:
Satish R Inamdar(Friend, Robotripper, Sleazeball, Classmate, etc)














4 comments:

Chetan Gurikar said...

First Desi Poem. Dude, Seriously it was Amazing Trust me.!!

But few errors i would like to point out.

Stanza4: The bells of...... rung(instead of rug)

Stanza6: Its Aunty Rita.

Except these mistaken words, dude. Its superb buddy.

The word 'Camhor's smoke' conveyed a whole lot. Nice!

Calling the Bride, a Sister thats really funny dude:)

PS: Pakka Desi..!

Rags would love it for sure :)

Chetan Gurikar said...

While reviewing i spelled 'Camphor' wrongly please correct it & read just like i did your Poem :)

saty said...

in memory of ??????
well i agree with thiaga .. he has read poem very well and has pointed out some trivial errors ..!!

honestly mast poem barde pa noun ..!!
worth it le , eno different try made but it worked for me though ..yup pakka desi ..!!
100% desi ( with hint of a smile )
it should carry a warning :
" Smoking is injurious too health "
liked it .. and thiaga knew even before i read that i would like it.

good work carry on ..

saty said...

there is a mistake in the end though ...
u should have written it as

In memory of Satish ( a friend , hedonist, altruistic, spiritual and an aficionado )